Monday, March 13, 2006

Open Letter to Howard Dean

Dear Dr Dean,

What's a furious citizen to do? The Republicans are destroying American society and the Democrats are holding the door for them. Are Al Gore, Russ Feingold, Robert Byrd and John Murtha the only high-profile Democrats with any kajones?

Did you read Molly Ivins latest piece? (www.progressive.org/mag_ivins0306) That article precisely sums up my feelings. We Democrats are unhappy. We are disaffected. We are angry. Every progressive societal advance made in the last century is being undermined or reversed by Republicans sold out to corporations and industry.

Where are the Democrats? How could all those Democrats have voted for the renewal of the (un)Patriot(ic) Act? Where are their consciences? What about the Constitution? Who are they afraid of?

We're not happy, Dr Dean. Every Democrat I know is angry at the Party, and that's quite a lot of people. My family and friends are not anomalies. We are every-day working Democrats, ordinary people who have had it with the lies, the incompetence, the destruction, the abuse, the perversion of American values and the loss of good will around the world, to name just a few of the sticking points that enrage us.

We need you, not a Harry Reid or a Nancy Pelosi who haven't got the guts God gave rabbit, to rouse the narcoleptic Democrats from their stupor and somehow make them come out fighting.

I wish Al Gore would announce (now). His speech of Jan 16 was of the right timbre and substance. Who cares what the right-wing pinheads say about him! Come out fighting!

Hillary lost me when she signed onto that stupid anti-flag-burning bill. What is she thinking? That she can pander to the extreme right and still retain my confidence even as she proposes trashing the Bill of Rights? What kind of principles are those?

This country was founded by Liberals on Liberal principles. Let's proudly take back our cherished label. I'm proud to be liberal, dammit, and I don't want Democrats in Congress ducking for cover whenever some Rovean creep points the finger of unpatriotism my way. I'm the patriot! Let's take a stand, for crying out loud.

Please, Sir. The clock is ticking on America. I hate to say this, but I don't see myself cracking open my wallet for wimps and cowards. Why should we throw money at an unresponsive party? But if someone will stand up and go toe to toe with the Republican Party and the Bush Administration, then I'll give and give and give whatever it takes, to defeat the agents of corporate greed that have hijacked the country.

I propose these planks for the Democratic platform. Who's got the muscle to hammer them home?

- Get us out of Iraq. Bring the troops home.
- No more pre-emptive wars.
- Public financing of all campaigns NOW.
- A return to healthy environmental policy.
- Roll back the damn tax cuts!
- Single-payer health insurance for everyone NOW!

Wake them up on the Hill, Dr Dean. Please!

1 Comments:

Blogger FreshToad said...

Right, I can see myself on the campaign trail now: "I don't deny anything and that's all I'm gonna say about that. Any _other_ questions?"

You're right, though, someone needs to do it since the establishment types are apparently not up to it.

I refuse to surrender.

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home